sábado, 4 de fevereiro de 2017

Fwd: Ultracrepidarianism

Hey, Mariana,

I'm not pedantic, I just like to know things.

I was reading Think like a freak when a found this word. I felt proud of myself because I know what it meant and where it came from.

Let me explain it to you.

First of all, the story:

There was renown painter in the antiquity called Apelles. He used to hide behind his paintings to listen to what people would say about them. On day, a shoemaker commented on the sandals of a figure was wrongly drown and how they should be. After that Apelles corrected the painting, but not on everyone's view and placed it on exposition again. The shoemaker, noticing the change and that they followed his comments, started opining about everything else on the painting. At this moment, Apelles came from where he was hiding and said: "Shoemaker, not beyond the sandal", which in the original Latin was rendered as "Sutor, ne ultra crepidam".

Now, the definition: Ultracrepidarianism is the attitude of someone who opine beyond their field of expertise.

Hope it'll interest you.

With all my laugh,

--   =======================  Flaviano Matos  It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing,  but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.  		-- Robert Benchley  Today is Sweetmorn, the 15th day    of Confusion in the YOLD 3180.   

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário